Heart-Shaped Strawberry Jam and Cream Cheese Sandwiches (Toddler Chef-Friendly)
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I've been having fun adding a little extra love to toddler boss's lunches lately with these yummy heart-shaped ("sweetheart") sandwiches.
We make ours with homemade strawberry jam and cream cheese, but you can make your own sweetheart sandwiches with a variety of options (jam, nut butters, soft cheese, hummus), depending on your little one's preferences. Feel free to get creative as you spread the love!
RECOMMENDED AGES: 12+ months. Click here to download our easy baby food reference chart to keep track of what foods you can introduce to your baby and when.
SUGGESTED PAIRING: Serve while your little one is wearing one of our signature Burpa Bibs that fit up to 3T.
ACTIVE TIME: 5 mins
INGREDIENTS + TOOLS:
- Two slices of whole wheat bread
- Strawberry jam
- Cream cheese
- Two heart-shaped cookie cutters in different sizes (large and small)
1. Place the large cookie cutter on top of one slice of bread. Press the cutter down and jiggle it until the outline of the heart is clearly formed on the slice of bread. Remove heart and set aside.
2. Repeat Step #1 for the second slice of bread.
3. Place the small cutter in the middle of one heart. Press down and jiggle until the outline of the small heart is clearly formed inside the slice of bread.
4. Remove the small heart and set the large open heart aside.
5. Spread a layer of cream cheese on top of the closed heart, followed by a layer of strawberry jam.
5. Place the open heart on top of the layer of jam and press down to hold.
6. Repeat as needed to make more sandwiches to serve to your little sweethearts.
Don't want to throw away the leftover crusts? I don't either! Here are a few great ways to repurpose them:
- Bread crumbs
- Bread pudding
- French toast fingers
Any more ideas? Please share them below!
Hey Haute Mamas! I'm Riche Holmes Grant, a modern mom + mompreneur who designs smart + stylish products that make your mommy gig easier.
When I'm not busy taking orders from my #miniboss, I'm contributing to MarthaStewart.com or in the kitchen whipping up delicious family-friendly creations in my BambiniWare Apronini.
Get my FREE book on How to Make the Best Food for Your Baby here!
I live in the Washington, DC area with my husband and daughter. Follow our adventures on Instagram via @BambiniWareLife!
- Categories: Food + Drink
- Riche Holmes Grant