Pumpkin Bisque Recipe
I've been making some variation of this yummy pumpkin bisque for years now, but I finally perfected the recipe, or at least that's what I've heard lately from my totally unbiased taste testers:-) If you've got the time, try it using freshly roasted pumpkin. If you really want to get fancy, sauté lump crabmeat and ladle the bisque over individual bowls for a mommy-only treat that tiny tastebuds can't yet appreciate.
RECOMMENDED AGES: 12+ months. Click here to download our easy baby food reference chart to keep track of what foods you can introduce to your baby and when.
SUGGESTED PAIRING: Try making this while you're wearing the Apronini in Eva.
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 45 mins. Note: I usually make this a few hours ahead of when I intend to serve it to really give the flavors time to get cozy.INGREDIENTS
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing
- 1 1/2 cup small onion, finely chopped
- 3 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 30 ounces (1 large can or about 4 cups if fresh) pumpkin
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half & half
*The pumpkin pie spice has a nice bite to it thanks to the ginger, so feel free to start with 1/2 tablespoon and season to taste as you go along. Toddler boss likes it a little spicy, but definitely gauge it according to your little one's tastebuds.
1. Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
2. Add the pumpkin pie spice, kosher salt and pepper. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour in the chicken broth and apple cider; add pumpkin. Simmer covered for 15 minutes.
4. Add agave nectar and let cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir well.
5. Puree the soup in a blender in batches until smooth.
6. Return soup to pot and add the heavy cream and stir. Now it's a bisque! Simmer on low covered for an additional 15 minutes, stirring often.
7. Let cool uncovered and serve.
Copyright 2015, Chow Baby! a delicious division of BambiniWare, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hey Haute Mamas! I'm Riche Holmes Grant, a modern mom + mompreneur who designs smart + stylish products that make your mommy gig easier.
When I'm not busy taking orders from my #miniboss, I'm contributing to MarthaStewart.com or in the kitchen whipping up delicious family-friendly creations in my BambiniWare Apronini.
Get my FREE book on How to Make the Best Food for Your Baby here!
I live in the Washington, DC area with my husband and daughter. Follow our adventures on Instagram via @BambiniWareLife!
- Categories: Food + Drink
- Riche Holmes Grant