Baby Hummus Recipe
I started making a "lite" version of baby hummus with just garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and low-sodium chicken broth when toddler boss was about 8 months old. Then, after she hit 12+ months, I started adding roasted garlic and fresh lemon juice so that my husband and I would enjoy it too. This was one of her favorite treats once she entered what I call the "dipping" phase, where she was obsessed with anything that she could dip her little hands in and eat too. This was such a fun time to introduce her to new and interesting foods, so keep the "dip trick" in mind if you have a picky eater.
RECOMMENDED AGES: 8+ months. Click here to download our easy baby food reference chart to keep track of what foods you can introduce to your baby and when.
SUGGESTED PAIRING: Serve while your little one is wearing the Burpa Bib in Chic Chevron.
SERVINGS: Up to 16 two-ounce servings
PREP TIME: 10 mins + overnight soaking
COOK TIME: 60 mins
ACTIVE TIME: 5 mins
- ½ lb (8 oz) dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roasted garlic (at 9+ months)
- Fresh lemon juice squeezed from 1/2 lemon (12+ months)
- Sort and rinse beans. Soak in water overnight.
- Drain soaked beans and rinse with cold water. Discard liquid.
- Bring chicken broth a boil and add beans.
- Cook on a low simmer with a tilted lid until soft and tender (at least an hour).
- Remove from heat and let cool under a tight lid for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer beans to blender, along with 1 cup of liquid, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Blend until smoothish.
- Serve with whole wheat pita bread pieces.
Hey Haute Mamas! I'm Riche Holmes Grant, a modern mom + mompreneur who designs smart + stylish products that make your mommy gig easier.
When I'm not busy taking orders from my toddler boss, I'm contributing to MarthaStewart.com or in the kitchen whipping up delicious baby + toddler gourmet creations in my BambiniWare Apronini.
Get my FREE book on How to Make the Best Food for Your Baby here!
I live in the Washington, DC area with my husband and daughter. Follow our adventures on Instagram via @BambiniWare!
- Categories: Food + Drink
- Riche Holmes Grant